Saturday 14 June 2014

People

The city of Grein on the Danube, has long been called the Golden Town thanks to the commercial success of its location just upstream of the treacherous eddies on the river. Local pilots boarded ships and navigated them safely through the rapids and whirlpools.  Consequently, the town was very prosperous and established the oldest theatre (virtually continuously performing) since 1791.  The townspeople had the benefit of living on the river, but also the challenges of the periodic flooding.  Most towns along the river have put flood control measures into place after the severe waters of 2005 and were tested in 2013 where the river crested at over 8 m above the normal level!  Life goes on.

Our ship's guests came from Australia to Sweden to Russia to England, Germany, and yes -- even Canada.  My picture shows Carolyn and Neil, Do and Graham -- my table mates for the past week. They are from the Liverpool area and the picture is of us on the sundeck waiting for disembarkation.

The crew of the boat was Slovakian -- a young group of enthusiastic workers who all work as a team.  Their service was efficient and friendly.  Their crew show was as crazy as any by any resort entertainment team. (Soup ladles will have a whole new meaning.)

Have I missed people as I cycle along by myself or sit on the upper deck and watch the river flow by.  Of course, but also 'no'.  I have enjoyed the freedom of doing as I wanted -- right down to when to stop to take a photo -- and yes, I have taken MANY photos.  I have always needed a serious dose of 'just me' time, and I think that tank has been refilled.  Ready to interact again!

No comments:

Post a Comment