Sunday 15 June 2014

Heading home

All my bags are packed -- ready to go.  The beginning and the end of a journey are much the same.  I have a suitcase stuffed and as close to 23kg I think that I can manage.  In the end there were some tough decisions about what to pack and what to leave behind, value being measured not necessarily by cost alone, but by availability.  The van will pick me up in a few hours, whisk me to the Munich airport and then it is directly back to Pearson.

So, I have a few moments to wax philosophic.  I love to travel.  It's seeing things that I have never seen before (Venus of Willendorf), do things I have never done before (bike daytime, boat nighttime), make connections with past experiences in new ways (saw the sugar beet crops my Dad used to talk about), listen to music in original settings (concert at the Hofburg in Vienna), sample foods and drink (Radler for me!) and just be in a whole different way.  Make no mistake, I would not change my 'home' life, but exploring and learning is a delightful change.  But it is time to head back.

I am looking forward to my people, my house, my routines, my flowers, my bicycle. I have many pictures and will share them and my travels with anyone who will listen.  Happy Father's day to all you Dads!


No comments:

Post a Comment