Tuesday 10 June 2014

Boat(s)

Someone sent me an email just the other day reminding me of how much he and K liked boats.  Well, this river has enough for all!  The picture is of the Theodore Korner -- the boat I am travelling on.  It is a delightful home base.
I have a cabin at the very back on the bottom level.  There is no one above me as it is the crew's back deck. Outside my window, there is always water and the sound of the movement past the boat is most soothing. My cabin is about 2.2 m wide and I guess about 3.5 m long.  Yes, it is tiny, but I have a shower, toilet, sink, closet, little desk, TV and bed.  In fact, I have 2 beds -- there is a bunk above my head, but it is folded up.   Talking to people who live on the upper levels, they comment that their rooms are not cool enough for them even when they turn the AC up full.  I have no control and my room is cool always.  That is very nice since the temperatures have been in the 30s each of our cycling days.  

Last night as we left Linz, no one was allowed on the sundeck -- they even had to lower the chimney to make it under the bridges.  About 10 pm we went through one of the locks -- a drop of 10 m at least.  Too bad we can't take a trip through the Welland Canal, that would be fascinating too.

I keep taking pictures of all the different boats, and am amassing quite a collection.  This area definitely relies on the river for all kinds of transport.

Today there was another climb -- this on the bicycle up to the Burg Clam (Clam castle).  It has parts dating back to the 1100s and has been in the same family for more than 500 years.  Now that's deep roots.

No comments:

Post a Comment