Wednesday 17 October 2018

Wednesday, October 17

Yes I have checked in to Asgard -- Hotel Asgard, that is, in Worms.  I don't know if the mythical creature is holding my bicycle to the ground or vice versa, but there are more of these blue dragons around this city.

Today's ride was about the shortest of this tour -- 45km.  It travelled along the Neckar river a while before heading overland up towards Worms which lies on the west side of the Rhine.  Again, there were fields and farms and lovely countryside all going about their daily and yearly routines.  Cows were being milked, asparagus was going yellow in its rows. 

I got to Worms early in the afternoon, affording me time to do a little historical sightseeing as well as my usual shopping adventure.  "Here I stand."  was Martin Luther's statement to Charles V in this place where he would not recant his doctrines.  The bishop's palace is long gone, but the monument stands as remembrance. 

There are some very fine churches in town pointing to the importance of this location in religious history -- Diet of Worms always brought a chuckle.

The home improvement giant Bauhaus is no longer in this city, but is replaced with OBI which features many of the same OOH and AAH kitchen, baths and renovation ideas which have long impressed me about Europe.  Often I think that North America is very far behind.  This is the most amazing corner cabinet I have ever seen!

I have been trying new drinks from the grocery stores.  Today's Frau Rauscher's apfelwein at 5.5 % is a definite winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment