Tuesday 16 October 2018

Tuesday, October 16

It may be close up, but the HD does not refer to Hi Def.  It is Heidelberg! and that's where I landed after 60 km today. 

Yes, it was only supposed to be 50, but a wrong turn took me a good distance out of the route, but I saw nice fields of beets and potatoes and strawberries and winter wheat and some ordinary towns.  I think that is what this trip is really showing me.  I don't have the time or energy to do the regular tourist things in the cities I am visiting.  When I am finished riding for the day, I need a nice shower, rinse out some of the riding clothes and go in search of supper.

Today, I also managed to wander around the city for a bit.  I visited the university student's quad and saw the old bridge and the castle on the mountain side -- regular tourist stuff.  But I also sat on a small greenspace beside the river Neckar and watched the traffic -- road and ship.  I saw for the very first time a child's car seat with a 4 year old in the passenger's seat -- just looked wrong.  I don't know about the legality of that here.  There was also a gentleman in his Mercedes sports car with a huge bandage on his left ear.  There is a very famous hospital right on the south bank of the river, next to the university.

I have to mention the signage.  There are large signs which give destinations and distances, but the sign I like to see most is the little green arrow.  It gives turns and adjustments to the larger cycle paths, and, most comfortingly, it shows you're on the right path.


No comments:

Post a Comment