Sunday 14 October 2018

Starting again

After a long travel day (Toronto - Iceland - Frankfurt -Saarbruken - Strassbourg) and a great night's sleep, it was time to pick up the bicycle and start on this, the last big chunk of cycling along the northbound Rhine river.

Strassbourg is a hopping city -- it is after all the seat of the European Parliament.  There were lots of people out on Saturday night and a city express grocery store.  (too bad I didn't realize that this morning.)It is the destination of many weekend tours -- I met the members of one at breakfast this morning.  I took no time to sight-see.  I may have time for that next week after this tour is done.

There was lots of riding on cycle paths and the dam lining the river.  Little transport on the river today, perhaps Sunday is still respected there.  It certainly is in the towns and cities that I have visited today.  In fact, there is no grocery store in Rastatt that is open today, so supper is scrounged from a little bakery.  At about the 39 km mark, I took the ferry across the Rhine and continued along the German side. 

The guidebook I received this morning was quite good in getting me around, I only made a few wrong turns and one ride back and then retrace my steps as I was right in the first time.  The phone does come in handy when there is a question about where I am.  The bicycle is a heavy 7 speed, step-through commuting item, but I have all the gear for repairs and bags for the back and the handlebars.  It runs along in 5th or 6th gear quite nicely at 20 - 21 km/hr.

European TV -- quite interesting to hear the British news and then, of course, German TV.  Today there was an election in Bayern (south east Germany) and the surprising results of the Green party up to 18% and AfD (the far right) is up to 11%, show a growing polarization of the electorate.  Yesterday there was a huge demonstration in Berlin for human rights.  I encountered protesters in the Frankfurt train station.  There is unrest here.

After 70 km today on a strange bike, I am tired, but I am delighted and excited to ride again tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment