Monday 15 October 2018

Monday, October 15

It is raining and getting cold at home, but this area of Germany is experiencing lovely almost summer-like weather with sun and temperatures in the low 20s.  It makes for lovely riding. Falling leaves look like sparkles under the trees.

And that is enhanced by riding through forests and fields, along a levee protecting the countryside from highwater on the Rhine. (Actually, the Rhine level is uncommonly low forcing the ferry which I was to use today, to abandon its crossings of the river).

So, there was a detour needed and to shorten it, I pushed the bicycle up 41 steps and over a water regulatory gate.  It was beside a huge power plant outside of Karlsruhe.  But the trustworthy Europaradweg (European cycle path) brought me to my destination. 

Germersheim is a fairly sleepy town with a fortress remains in its heart.  A walk about showed me a monument for soldiers of the 1870-71 war with the French, a sculpture part from a symposium in 1997, and a condo renovation in a barracks building complete with shooting holes.  But I must admit, I spent the most time at the local grocery store -- Penny.  I do love seeing what other people buy and use to feed themselves.  Included in that are kiwi berries, grown in Germany, which are like mini kiwis where one eats the whole berry.

Yesterday's ride was a total of 71km.  Today I went 62.  Those are the two longest rides of this tour and it is going well on the bike.  There don't seem to be too many people going in the direction that I am, but I pass cyclists going the other way usually every 5 min.  Late fall riding is great!

1 comment: