Thursday 18 October 2018

Thursday, October 18

The Loreleri song has a line about 'ruhig fliesst der Rhine'.  Well, the critical thing currently is not if the river is flowing gently, but rather that it is flowing low.  I mentioned the low water previously, but today it was really hammered home. 

After a 60 km (yes, wrong turns again) ride, I anxiously arrived at the Nierstein ferry.  Having passed this morning another ferry spot that was abandoned,  I was really hoping that this one was operating.  I had passed a cyclist who indicated that two days ago, it had been doing the traverse of the river, and he had not heard otherwise.  The ferry was doing its back and forth between Kornsand and Nierstein, but there was a catch.  On the bank, there was an excavator straddling water and sand, dredging the docking area of the ferry.  Impossible to say how long they will be able to keep this up!

Construction is not a Canadian exclusive.  There were several detours today to the route, some I negotiated well, others put me way off the desired path.  About 50% of the ride today was on gravel path.

Need to mention the people that one meets.  No one brushed off my questions and requests for help.  More common, was the well meaning individuals who wanted to tell me how to go for the whole day and the next 10 km.  Sorry, can't digest that much -- just need to know the next two turns, especially when I get back into regular cycling territory where there are signs.  Oh, thanks for the signs -- gave me a couple of short cuts, really appreciated after some wrong turns.  Thanks, Google, especially in finding my hotel once I get to the final city

I will need to use google tomorrow.  Just before I came over here, I bought something called pocket juice (a battery to recharge the phone on the go) which I think will come in handy tomorrow.  Early to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment