Wednesday 28 September 2011

In and out of the fog

Der Naebel ist auf kleinen Katzen Pfoten herein gekrochen.  But it probably more like the army of Siamese who besieged Growltiger, because the fog was so thick in Koblenz, it was not possible to see the mid-Rhine islands, let alone the opposite shore.  Couple that with the detour thanks to the construction happening on the cycle path, and I was very thankful for good signage, again, to get me on the right road.

Today's distance was the longest -- 58 km and since there was little to see for the first few hours, I just kept going, reaching Remagen about noon when the sun had finally burned off the fog.  But then it was into the philosophic fog of right and wrong about the bridge, and its role in history from both the German and Allied views.  There is a Peace Museum in the towers on the west side which was a worthwhile stop and consideration.  Walking outside again it was such a shock to think of the awful reality of war in that serene setting.

Bad Godesberg was not much further and it really is just a southern suburb of Bonn.  The hotel was another one of those which does not staff their reception during the whole day, and if it hadn't been for a gentleman who showed me where they left the keys, I might still be outside on the step waiting and trying to make phone calls -- just kept getting the german equivalent of "the number you have called is not listed, please call information".  But, I found a nice room -- they gave me a choice of two, and my luggage, and the page that tells how to access the T Mobile Hot Spot, so the confusion again diffused into clarity.

I wandered around a bit downtown, found a liter of Federweiss and a grocery store, so now I have my stinky German cheese, a nasty dark seeded bun, some red cabbage, a little potato salad, and my delightful drink.  Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment