Thursday 29 September 2011

Freiheit, Einheit, Freude

The translation of the title is "Freedom, Unity, Joy" and it is the slogan of the celebrations in Bonn from Oct. 1 to 3 for the German Reunification.  But the unification date is also my birthday and so I can celebrate the theme personally.  Looking at my life was one of the objects of this trip and the freedom I have had to visit and explore has certainly brought me joy.  But for the 'unity' part -- I loved being with Rhonda, look forward to spending the weekend with Richard and Jennie and miss the family at home.  The relationships are the essence of the unity. More on that later.

Bonn was only 5 km from Bad Godesberg, so I arrived too early for the Beethoven Haus and had to kill time cycling around -- will have to look up the Bonner Bogen.  The little spot in the centre of town is where Ludwig was born and has quite a good collection of manuscripts, pictures, letters and musical instruments.  But the overwhelming feeling I got was one of sorrow.

And then it was on through the now wide valley of the Rhine.  It was such a nice day that there were sunbathers and even some swimmers in the river just south of Cologne.  The main place I wanted to visit in the city was the Dom.  What a juxtaposition of the ancient Gothic cathedral and the modern train station right next to it!  As it was Pilgimage day, there were no regular tours, but a service at 3 pm.  "You are the salt of the earth".  Our purpose is to be the spice of life -- interesting!

My hotel is in the southwestern part of the city so I just poked around here after checkin.  The bicycle and panier have been returned, and now the trick is to get my luggage down to 20kg for the flight tomorrow.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment