Friday 30 September 2011

All my bags are packed.....

and ready to go.  This is quite an achievement as it meant juggling weight between my carry-on (max 8 kg) and my suitcase (max 20 kg).  I discarded any unnecessary paper, am wearing about twice as many clothes as I will need, deposited the CD and booklet instructions for the new camera in the garbage (bless you internet if I need help), left out the extra plastic bags that I usually carry, and, thanks to the scales borrowed from the fitness room, have a suitcase (19.7) and carry on (6.8) that are now legal.

I'm not sure about blogging the next few days as I suspect they will be packed with activity with Richard and Jennie -- dinner in Copenhagen tonight is already booked, so I have some time here in Cologne to reflect.

I love visiting Germany.  Of course it would be different if I lived here and then all the obligations of life would be upon me as they are at home, but for now, this is still the freedom fairyland that I experienced the first time I visited in 1984.  (I remember nothing from living here till I was 2.5 yr. and emigrating in the spring of 1954, so that doesn't count.)  Don't misunderstand, I am VERY happy with my life, but I realized early on, that the major criteria for 'vacation', was getting away from the daily responsibilities of house and family life, not long journeys to exotic locales (though I like those as well).  So a weekend at the condo is a wonderful break, because, as nice as home really is, it is the lifting of the mantle of responsibility that lightens the spirit.  (I try to keep that mantle as light as possible at home, but it is a mantle nonetheless.)

And so for freedom, unity, and joy, I need to be very selective about what I take on.  Given a week of being alone with my thoughts, I am contented with the choices of family, friends, hobbies and volunteering that fill my life.  These choices, together with the gift of good health, certainly make this a blessed life.  I could not ask for more.

So, gather up the luggage and figure out the transit system -- a number 16 or 18 tram to get me to the HBF and then an S 13 to the airport.  Already found out that you can get your ticket on the tram, so that is convenient.  Just have to make sure to have coins as the machines don't like bills.  I can do that!

Denmark, here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment