Monday 30 May 2022

Intrepid Adventurer?

No, and  I guess I realized that about 45 years ago.  Google defines it as fearless, with fortitude and endurance. The moment of truth came when we went camping with a baby Richard at the KOA by Algonquin Park.  I spent the whole time getting things ready for him, cleaning up after feeding, bathing in a fashion which took much more time than those activities did at home.  That was no vacation.  So I decided that if I didn't have the obligations of the house and taking care of food, it would be a vacation even if I just went to the motel down the road.

However, I am not comfortable with the waiter hovering over me all the time and the maid doing turn down service.  So there must be a comfortable medium.


Tova asked yesterday if I listened to music or stories and I had to admit, neither.  I like quiet......peace and quiet.  Is it the years of being a teacher where a classroom sometimes felt like herding cats, or being a parent where interacting with kids was quite vocal at times?  I don't know, but I love quiet on the bicycle, in the garden, in the car, on a walk.  Don't get me wrong -- I love all those things with others too, but I need my quiet time to be at peace.

How does that work with travel where schedules and connections sometimes necessitate running through a train station or airport?  I try to leave myself extra time.  Ian dropped me at Pearson about 5 hours before my flight on May 11.  I had lots of time to go to the counter, drop the bags, get through security and relax in the lounge.  Thank you business class!  You have already read about the train difficulties in Germany and Switzerland, but with the extra time and flexibility of not booking in advance, I made it through with a minimum of panic. 

When I checked in on line last evening, there was a caution that security at Arlanda was extremely slow and one should allow extra time.  Well, I was leaving myself about 3.5 hours, but nothing prepared me for the lines at all the security checks.  Business class allowed me to use the Fast Track -- the guy who cut into that line in front of me in order to make his plane in ten minutes, told me that he had waited for more than 2 hours in the queue.  Horrendous!

Sitting here in the Business Class lounge, I know I am not nearly as adventurous or fearless as I had imagined myself.  It is not a thrill to make that connection, it is panic.  Perhaps it is my age, or perhaps I have always been that way.  I admire Hannah and Jennie who stride out into the unknown.  In any case, travel this way allows me to visit and be with the people who are important to me.  And I see lots of enlightening and unique things along the way, plus, there is calm in my being.   

No comments:

Post a Comment