Monday 25 September 2017

travel -- the many modes

So how many different modes of travel can I use in one day?

I walked to the Jumbo grocery store this morning to fill up my suitcase with goodies to make the 23kg. weight limit.

I took the bus back from the store -- line 77.

Suitcase and I hopped on the Waterbus with one of our free one-way tickets left over from our Welcome Rotterdam card.  This took me across the main channel from the SS Rotterdam to the Erasmus bridge.

Tram line 7 stops at the Erasmus bridge and then goes on its merry route to Rotterdam Centraal station.

On platform 9 the local train to Schipol airport left at 9:26.  Lots of time so didn't need the direct connection.  Nice man travelling to Washington DC and I talked about cycling in different places and the trials and tribulations of getting bicycles through airports.  He has come to the conclusion that he only puts the bike in a plastic bag -- that way the handlers have to drive it to the plane.  If in a box, they throw it and it comes out more damaged.  Something to consider.

Checked in the suitcase -- 22.9 kg, Yes!

If you don't have to rush through this airport, it is quite a nice little community -- grocery store, souvenier shops,  clothing, jewellery, all the regular duty free stuff and even an H&M.  Had lunch with (and sprayed my fizzy water over) a lady travelling to Madrid to settle her father's estate.  Nice people everywhere!  (I hope they think the same of me.)

So the plan is to fly(!!) to Toronto in 2 hours, and then take the monorail from terminal 3 to terminal 1, and there pick up the bus to Hamilton.  There Ian will retrieve me at the station.  Oddly, the only mode of transportation missing today will be a bicycle.  (Oh, and a balloon.)

Hardest trip?  getting my head back into my 'normal' life.


No comments:

Post a Comment