Friday 22 September 2017

Fruit everywhere

Holland is a great place to cycle, but not perfect.  I managed to make 2 wrong turns today also, but thanks to Ms. Google, no big problem.  About 40 km today.

And what a glorious place to ride.  I am in the delta region of the Rhine which means multiple waterways and floodplains between.  Active waterways and water controls are very evident, so there is constant vigil as to the level of the river and the ground water.

But what a place to grow stuff!  Niagara-on-the-lake is a tiny drop in this sea of orchards and fields of all kinds.  Dwarf trees trained on wires utilize space much more efficiently than we see in Ontario.  This Betuwe region is famous for apples, pears, cherries, walnuts and even (edible) chestnuts.  I can understand why the Dutch need to grow stuff wherever they go.


Leerdam, where I am this evening, is known as the Glass city.  It has the National Glass Museum which consists of a regular type museum and a demonstration glass blowing workshop.  Both are done extremely well and were certainly worth the visit.

Ian's Dad once asked me if I ever got on a plane from one of my vacations and said that I wished I had not gone away.  I answered 'no' at that point and I reiterate that today.  In fact, this is one of those many times that I know that I want to come back and explore more.

No comments:

Post a Comment