Thursday 21 September 2017

Meeting expectations

Satisfaction is directly related to meeting expectations and today was great!

Thanks so much to the Dutch marking system that made following and changing the route very easy.  The prescribed route took several detours away from the river into the woods.  Now, I love forests and don't mind wet, leafy paths covered in acorns, making hairpin turns around trees, but when it means that I can't be beside the river, which is the real reason I am here, I take the other route.

I love cycling on the dyke, despite having to share the road with lots of other vehicles, since there is a real sense of cooperation.  The drivers don't make huge detours for bicycles, but they are at a respectable distance and cyclists are expected to stay in their lanes and obey the lights put there for them.  Cycling has been part of life here forever, so it will, unfortunately, be a long time before we can hope for that kind of coexistence in Canada.

At lunch I took a short ride into the town of Rhenen.  It was market day and lots of people were out getting their cheese, veggies and meats.  There was a lovely cafe overlooking the bustle which boasted home made apple pie -- Dutch style with nuts on top! (and served with whipped cream, of course).  That certainly met expectations.

Cutting some of the detours allowed me to take 2 hours this afternoon and visit Amerongen Castle.  The gardens were fabulous, especially if one noticed that most of the hedges were 2 metre rhodies.  Ducks drew lines in the duckweed of the moat.  There was a tour of the castle in Dutch which I followed.  The guide was extremely knowledgeable, but I mostly just saw the rooms and exquisite details.

My room here at the Hotel De Gouden Leeuw (Golden Lion) is modern and very comfortable.  I continue to be pleased with the service I get from Rad und Reisen.  Expectations met again.


No comments:

Post a Comment