Sunday 10 November 2013

"Yes, it's here"

That was the sweetest morning salutation in a long time because it meant I had not lost my passport.

I discovered the item missing last evening after Rich, Jennie and TovaElise went to bed and I was packing.  It was not in the safe in my closet where it should have been.  I searched through all the paperwork again.  I went up to the front desk to ask if had been left in the room where I had first checked in.  "No, our cleaning staff always checks the whole room including the safe".  We called the Canadian consulate and since it was a Saturday night we had to call Ottawa direct where they have 24hr emergency answering.  That lady could only suggest that I start the lost passport procedure which would have to go through Madrid on Monday morning.  If she started it last night, it would mean that even if the document was found, it would no longer be valid.  I said no.  I went back to the room to think and realised that I had left the original room in pristine condition and there might be a chance that the passport was still there.  Needless to say, it was a very long, unsettled night and at 6:30 this morning I was camped out by the first room making sure no one left early and I missed them.  Well, a light came on about 7:15 and at 7:30, which I deemed to be a half-way acceptable time, I knocked on the door.

It was a pair of lovely older English ladies who could understand my request and checked immediately.  They had no used the safe at all and then came that wonderful sentence quoted in the title.  A HUGE WAVE OF RELIEF!  I hurried down to our villa and was able to relate to Rich and Jenn that all was well.

So now I am here on Norwegian flying back to Gatwick.  Hope to get another blog (telling of the last part of the stay on Tenerife together with some pictures) done before landing.

No comments:

Post a Comment