Saturday 2 November 2013

Wrapping up England

So today was my last day here and there were lots of things to finish off.

I did the cycle ride to the airport and watched a plane fly right over my head.  I was down in Crawley before I changed direction and came back through Horley in order to head west.  Very soon one leaves town and is on the Surrey cycle path in the most pleasant rolling English countryside.  There are great houses with large estates and high walls and gates and fantastic views of the valleys, and then there are lesser houses in between -- some refurbished cottages from the old days and some newer homes.  It is a lovely variety as one rides along the little country lanes named for some of the great houses and lined on both sides with hedgerows very close to the road.  With the rain and the leaves, I was not anxious to take any paths which were not paved, and even these required very careful riding.  The symbol means "share the path" -- I wish we could get this in our area!

Today I had hills, I had wind, I had sunshine and I had serious rain.  I guess all that was missing was the hail that I had on Tuesday.  I had lunch at a pub which one gentleman recommended to me as 'spot on' -- and it was (steak and mushroom pie with great veggies).  I made several wrong turns because I didn't have my gps out all the time, but still managed to get the bike back to Redhill in mid afternoon which had been my plan.

Redhill has better shopping than Horley so I picked up some stuff -- baking sheets at the pound store and flip-flops at a store that sells trendy name brand pseudo sportswear (Quicksilver, etc).

Trained back to Horley and started to get my departure set up -- wake up call for 4 am and transfer for 4:15.  The flight is at 06:35.  Glad the airport is so close.  There will be a bag left here of the stuff that I will not need in the Canaries, and my weight limit is less for this segment of the vacation than across the Atlantic.  I will have one night here on the way back as I get to Gatwick too late on the Sunday night to get a flight home the same day.

Another good day --sense a theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment