Sunday 3 November 2013

Flying Very High

So this is a first.  Here I am at cruising altitude and connected to the internet.  Norwegian charges for coffee and movies but the wifi is free -- strange.

Another first on this flight.  I changed my seat assignment of 23A to get an aisle seat and I like being at the back so I can stand easily (and use the washroom).  30D was available with no one else booked in the trio of seats, so it looked like a good spot.  We boarded from the back of the plane and upon getting to my seat in the second last row, I was greeted by a man across the aisle, one row back at the rear of the aircraft.  He was a little strange and I thought he might be mentally challenged and so was obliging when he asked my name, and asked him his.  Well, he was drunk and started to be vulgar towards the flight attendant.  She warned him, the head steward warned him, and we pulled over to a side parking spot and they asked me and the couple in front of him to please just go forward in the plane and they took him off.  Never seen that before.  Naturally we had already lost time as they tried to subdue him and when he was removed they had to start the paperwork for the flight again, so eventually it was 1.5 hrs later than scheduled that we finally got a spot in the queue and headed off.

This is the second incident of disruptive behaviour that I have encountered on this journey.  At the train station in Tonbridge the other day, the train before mine was delayed for about 15 min while an individual was ejected and then the train was allowed to leave.  I wonder if this kind of thing is on the increase or if I have just never been exposed to it before.

The flight to Tenerife is 4 hours and 15 minutes.  The plane is only about half full and this was the cheapest airfare to that location.  Norwegian must be heavily subsidised by their government.  I read in the magazine that they have just inaugurated direct flights from Oslo and Stockholm to NY, Ft. Lauderdale and LA on Dreamliners.  Who is making money here?

Well, If I can send a picture of myself while in flight, I should be able to find the shuttle to get me to the hotel.  Here's hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment