Friday 1 November 2013

NCN 2

When I think of some of my favourite rides -- Tamaki Drive, Rhine cyclepath, Cozumel Island -- they all have water in common.  So, it should come as no surprise that I chose the shore road along the Channel for today's ride.

It started off with a flat tire -- pumped up enough to get to the train and down to Brighton and then fixed by a nice guy in the Velo Vitality shop.  But once I started heading west (into the wind), it was lovely.  There were serious waves crashing onto the pebbled beaches and sea walls, but that did not stop the wet suit-clad surfers, not the kite sailor/surfers, or the little kids who are on half term vacation this week, who, despite their adults being dressed in hooded parkas, were running into the surf with shorts and bare feet.  I was thankful for my several layers.

NCN 2 is the Shore trail on which I rode from Brighton Pier to Worthing Pier, 20 km away.  It had an incredibly varied path -- along the sea on the sea wall, past hundreds of tiny 'cottages', past a number of amusement areas, through the busy port of Shoreham, over locks in a dock area, past warehouses and fancy summer houses.  It is an area of work and play and has been so for many, many years.  I just finished Pride and Prejudice this evening and had to smile at the talk of Brighton, then as now.

I promised myself fresh fish and the Blue Ocean cafe in Worthing was recommended by several of the people I asked.  They did not disappoint -- the chips may have been so-so, but the cod was fantastic!

The ride back to Brighton had the wind at my back, and was without the rain that had come down while I was lunching.  It is always easier (and faster) to return when one knows where the twists and turns happen.  I must admit that I have been very pleased with my new phone and the map features it has.  I love the little blue dot to show me where I am -- and the location of the train station that I want to reach.  More rain on the ride back, but it was just a short cycle from the Horley station back to the guest house.


Another great day! (Yes, I wore pink tights and everyone noticed me!)

No comments:

Post a Comment