Sunday 22 September 2013

Welcome back

My understanding of this phrase is that it is used when someone returns to a place they have been before.  However, this sign at the exit of Hemlingby outdoor recreation area shows the problem with translations.  The sign is meant to mean 'come back soon' or 'hope to see you again', but the translation used, though it is a welcoming statement, is from a different point of view.

But, there was no mistaking the warm welcome I have had all week here in Gavle.  I have a lovely space on the lower level with plenty of room and my own bathroom.  Jennie has loaned me her very nice commuting bicycle and I have explored some new and not-so-new areas of town.  I have been particularly indulged in my love for great dark bread and flavourful cheeses.  We have sampled the offerings of some very tasty restaurants.  I have been introduced to a number of superb new recipes and made some preserves that I have never made before.  It's been a wonderful time.

And I can't forget the best part of the week -- the little miss.  TovaElise is changing so rapidly that there are notable changes just in the 7 days that I have been here.  Her eye-hand coordination has greatly increased and she has found her fingers to lick and chew.  She coos and giggles and smiles and blows bubbles and is a very happy baby.  She snuggles very nicely, but is also quite independent for periods.  Jennie and Richard are terrific parents and the little one is thriving.  What a wonderful family to be a part of -- even if just for a week.

Thanks so much, Rich and Jenn!

No comments:

Post a Comment