Monday 16 September 2013

Travel-ease

Although Ian hates travel in general and airports in particular, I am always amazed and delighted with the ease of travel.

I was 2.5 years when I came to Canada with my Mom, Dad, and 2 siblings.  The Arosa Kulm left Bremerhaven and 11 days later arrived in Nova Scotia.  For my parents, it was the only true vacation they ever had -- nothing to do for more than a week but to show up for meals that someone else prepared and cleaned up, and play with the kids.  I also know it was a monumental excursion as they were leaving behind one life and coming to something virtually unknown -- although a number of my aunts and uncles had already emigrated, the amount of information which filtered back across the Atlantic, was sparse and without the answers to the myriad of questions they must have had.

And now to my day where I had researched and booked my flight and train tickets all in the comfort of my own home and on my own time over the internet.  I knew which tube station would get me to Heathrow easily.  The self-serve kiosks at the airport no longer intimidate me.  (I even can change seat assignments so that I get the aisle seat.)  I now have my own luggage scale so that I can confidently put the suitcase on the belt.  I can negotiate through Arlanda airport though I know no Swedish (OK, most of it has English translations).  Changing trains in Uppsala (with only about 2 minutes to make the change) went smoothly.  And Richard, on the platform in Gavle, already knew that the train would be late.  How much more relaxing than my parent's journey.

And when something goes so smoothly, one is inclined to do it more often!  Especially when there is such a sweetie waiting.

2 comments:

  1. Tova Elise sure is cute! She looks much happier than she did at your house when all of us descended on her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Travel is Sweden is good. And little girls are always worth the trip.

    ReplyDelete