Sunday 16 June 2013

Bits and Bites

I don't have an overall theme for today's blog but just some bits.

The weather -- we go through sunshine, cloud, rain (sometimes all three at once) -- today has been excellent for drying paint.  The other day I sanded the baseboards for the upstairs office, main bedroom, and basement bathroom.  Today, they were painted in the carport.  The breezes were warm and thus the paint on the first ones was dry by the time I finished the last.  But the second coat had to wait until after the day's adventure:  Ikea.

The Ikea in this area is about 10 km west of Gavle in the town of Valbo.  It is set up like other Ikeas I have visited (Canada, German), but there are a few extra Swedish items, especially in the Ikea Family section.  And, at this time of year, they do a Summer Buffet, characteristic of the midsummer celebrations here in Sweden.  That is mostly sill (herring) in different preparations, some of the crisp breads and cheese, eggs with caviar, gravad lax (cold cured salmon), potato salad and beet salad, Jannson's frestele (scallopped potatoes with anchiovies), boiled potatoes, meatballs, roast beef, and cheese pie.  I realized it was a textural thing with me and my hesitation with herring, but having it on the crispy breads made that just fine and so I appreciated the flavours.  There was a pleasant rhubarb tart and an impressive chocolate tart with vanilla sauce.  Delicious all and with Jennie's Ikea Family card, just 99 kr.

Socks -- I love socks and one of my favourites comes from Ahlens, so I have already bought 4 more pairs in fun colours to add to my collection.  I think it is wonderful that one can find familiar and new items in another culture that one can appreciate.  Have you ever had Brown Norwegian Cheese?  I had not until last Sunday's party and Magnus brought it.  I found it at the local store and hope to get some back to Canada with me.

The days seem long -- thanks to the approximately 20 hours of light.  It is dark(ish) about midnight but then by 2:30 am it is light again.  So, one is motivated to work on projects much later than at home.  That was the second coat of paint on the baseboards and scraping of the balcony off Rich and Jenn's bedroom, all after we got back from Ikea.

Little Miss Tova Elise -- the last two days she has begun focussing much more and crossing her eyes much less.  When you talk to her, she is so attentive.  Guess I should say only significant things so she doesn't think me an idiot right from the start.

No comments:

Post a Comment