Sunday 6 February 2022

Looking Back

 I think this should be called, the dangers of looking back.  Especially when I now have 70 years to look back on, the tendency is to compare -- often unfavourably, the current situation with previous experiences.  I think, in many ways, we remember 'the good old days' quite differently than when we were in those times.  Perspective is a wonderful thing and a necessary thing to keep sanity and move on when going through rough times but let us remember that continually looking back, stops us from moving forward and embracing a future.  I guess that is what children and grandchildren do for us -- they keep us in the every moving present.

We are now on our eighth trip to Ponta Delgada and there is a wonderful familiarity about this hotel (5th stay),  the local cafes, the grocery stores, the fabulous gardens, and the walks, particularly along the ocean.  This trip we were upgraded in our 1 bedroom apartment to a larger apartment on the front of the building with a balcony looking straight onto the harbour 50 meters across the coastal road.  In addition, the layout of the suite has an extra bed off the living room, which I am using as a dressing area making it much easier to get dressed and go for a walk in the morning while Ian continues to sleep.  When checking in yesterday, I was given the card for this room and was somewhat apprehensive about the front of the building as it is over the main road.  But the door to the balcony is great for sound reduction and watching the harbour is fantastic.  Something new turned out even better than the old which we had really liked.  


I have to remind myself that I have not learned everything yet and positive surprises are still possible.  Looking at 70+, I am very mindful that this is now on the downward slope. But a brilliant rainbow still takes my breath away.


 

1 comment: