Thursday 17 February 2022

The Compliments Book

 This afternoon it is raining.  No problem.  The angle of the rain is not such that it is wet on the balcony, so I am able to write or stitch or puzzle while watching the city go by, the planes come in and the ships unload.  Very pleasant.

But this morning we were able to go and check out one of our regular haunts -- the Municipal Art Gallery.  I think we have visited there almost every time that we have stayed on the island.  It has changing and varied exhibitions and although sometimes it is too far out or abstract for me to appreciate, every time there has been something on display that I admired.  

Today it was a variety of small drawings done with pen and ink.  I particularly liked a turtle that had been done with pen and ink.  Also, a sculptor had pieces on display demonstrating very good technique and some emotional insight.  I could have done without the 7 pieces of wood hinged together and painted black (4000 euros) and the multimedia items that looked like rotten cardboard and dirt that had been painted black.


But altogether, it was another very positive experience -- free admission too.  At the front they have two books -- one labelled for Complaints, the other for Compliments.  I commented in the latter.

The pop culture on the island is a real mix.  The little kids' ride on the waterfront features vehicles decorated with Frozen, Paw Patrol, Toy Story, Cars, and a bunch of items that I don't know.  The little kid this morning at breakfast had a Marshall stuffie (Paw Patrol dalmatian for those of you who don't know the series).  But so far, my favourite homage was this Jeep I saw yesterday.  


No comments:

Post a Comment