Friday 16 August 2019

Sharing the adventure

The eternal question is "how do you take something old and make it new and exciting again?"  I propose the following:  see the old through new eyes.  In this case, the eyes that I am seeing something familiar through, are the eyes of my grandson Kieran.

For the next week, he and I are travelling along the Rhine River between Cologne and Mainz, the stretch that I did 7 years ago to celebrate my 60th.  But having him with me allows the familiar to be seen in a different way, noting the things that he finds interesting and exciting.  He loved watching the planes being serviced and unloaded last evening.  He was super excited to be going 292 km per hour on the ICE train this afternoon.  He tried a new pastry and pronounced it great.  He was awed by the cathedral and loved the stained glass windows and the all the gold.  We lit a candle to remember Nona, already gone for a year.  We looked at the river and all the different boats.

We are keeping a written journal -- something for him to remember this trip long after I am gone.  It is a precious moment in time and I plan to enjoy every second!

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you lite a candle, and that he was awed by the cathedral.
    Have a good day tomorrow and meet your boat.

    ReplyDelete