Monday 25 February 2019

My head --- my eyes

My head says "feels like -17 with blowing snow".  My eyes say " a varied slope of green grasses and succulents and bushes" outside the windows opposite me at the airport cafe.  My heart is divided.

The island here has been a breath of spring for the senses and the soul.  We stood long on our balcony this morning drinking in the sights and smells of the city and the harbour.  Yesterday I walked to a new park I had not explored before and delighted in the perfect norfolk island pine,  I enjoyed my favourite almond pretzel at lunch.  We spoke at length with a local guide about other islands to visit.

Waiting for us at home will be a car covered in ice and a driveway that will be slippery at best.  Ian's mom took a fall while we were away and broke her hip.  She is doing well, but will still be in the hospital till next week.  There will be challenges there.

But home is where two of my grandkids are.  K and C are fascinating young people who have had my heart since their birth.  Being part of their lives trumps even the snow.  And there are the other members of the family so dear.  It is so true that home is where the heart is.

So, I am going home.


No comments:

Post a Comment