Monday 30 January 2023

Pick your Faovourites

 There have to be some advantages to getting old(er).  The worries about slipping on ice or the slowness of mind in learning a new language are not on that list, but having an abundance of experiences or items to choose from to deem as 'favourites' is something that I appreciate.  Some people I know have their favourite as whatever they are currently appreciating, and that is a great attitude if it results in gratitude for what one has.

But sometimes, I want to choose something specific because it is so unique or so much better in my opinion that all the others of that category.

Today's lunch reflected some of that.  The pear is a Conference pear.  It comes from the Netherlands and it is, in my opinion, the best pear around.  It has a smooth texture (some pears can be quite gritty), it is juicy without astringency, and at it's peak in flavour while still a little firm.  I am hoping to plant a Conference pear tree in our 'orchard' (6 trees qualify as an orchard) in Chippawa.

The brown lump on the side is Norwegian Brown Cheese.  It originated when regular cheese was so expensive that ordinary people couldn't afford it and yet they mixed milk with the whey and then produced a brown, carmelized substance which I would describe as a dessert cheese.

The roll is probably not the best that I have had as it came from a supermarket, but it is the type of sweet bread that I enjoy most, and this one even had marzipan and almonds.  My Mother made cinnamon rolls often and they were substantial but also a treat -- a perfect way to start a day.

These are a few of my favourite things:



No comments:

Post a Comment