Thursday 26 January 2017

Latest adventure -- disabled traveller

For some of my adventures, I plan for months researching internet sites on a variety of topics.  For some, I do price comparisons over many weeks, looking for patterns of bargains.  For some I consult friends and read endless Trip Advisor reviews, learning what is a true assessment vs what is some individual's rant.  The "disabled traveller" was sprung on me less than 48 hours before my flight.

Three and a half years ago, I also had a broken foot when I visited London with Joanna and family for the World Triathlon Championships and then went on to Sweden for a visit.  However, that was at the very end of my time wearing the boot and there was no associated pain.  Yesterday, my foot still very much hurt whenever I stepped a little off balance and I certainly do not yet have the stamina of that previous adventure.  So, when the line-up at the Azores Airlines counter looked to be at least 10 minutes and Ian suggested a wheelchair (standing a few metres away), I took him up on it.

Being ferried around the airport is a real luxury.  I had a great driver who was very aware of my funny booted foot and made sure we did not even brush anything.  The security people are especially considerate, and we were in the wheelchair line to board the aircraft first.  I had chosen my usual seats at the back of the plane and when no third person arrived for the middle section, it was very much appreciated.  My foot still feels best when elevated, but that is difficult even with extra space.  It was a nice Airbus 330, but the entertainment system -- best distraction ever for flights -- did not work, so it was try and sleep or at least be comfortable.

The airport in Ponta Delgada is very small (stairs off the plane) and so no wheelchair was necessary.  Slowly I got to the terminal, through customs and out the door with the luggage.  We had prebooked a shuttle to our downtown  hotel and the nice man was standing there with a sign with my name.  I have to say, we really appreciated the organization of this service and soon we were dropped off on the waterfront by the door of the Hotel Gaivota (meaning seagull).  As it was about 8:15 am, the room was not ready and we were assured that by 2 pm it would be available.

Long walk -- not the distance we covered, but the time it took.  Thanks goodness I brought my walking poles and used one as a cane.  The sidewalks are small square stones in mosaics, while the roads are full cobbles.  I felt MUCH better with the extra support in case of slight irregularities on the walk.  I think the waterfront is the same as it has been for hundreds of years, in most aspects.  Of course, the equipment on the pier and boats have changed, but since 1427, people have been sailing in and out of here and doing commerce.  We took in a exhibit on the history of money and money in the Azores at the Bank of Portugal building.  Those gold coins are still spectacular.

I was walked out by noon, when, thankfully, our room was ready.  Disabled people need a nap and then out again.  There is a little supermarket just 3 doors from our hotel.  Our inquiry to the front desk secured us two pots and a big bowl.  Soup, bread and cheese.  Lovely supper.

I think my foot will make me much more appreciative of the ability to walk easily again in a few months.  But, the travel industry is very concerned about us needy ones.  There were about 12 wheelchair patrons last night but the one helper told us that some flights have up to 100.  And we were well taken care of.  On our plane, at the back where we were seated, was a section of 8 seats which could be curtained off in case of a stretchered patron.  Good for them.  I do not enjoy being disabled, but it is comforting to know that travel is still possible.
 Our kitchenette and morning coffee break with passionfruit custard tart.

No comments:

Post a Comment