Wednesday 28 May 2014

getting there is half the fun?

I find going east to be much harder than going west.  It is Wednesday evening here in Sweden and it feels like it should just be the end of a long Tuesday due to my lack of sleep -- how we punctuate each day.  I could nap, but then it takes longer to get settled in the new time zone.

After I got the weight of the bicycle bag (with bicycle) sorted out -- should be 23 kg instead of the 30 kg I had in there, the flight out of Toronto and into Frankfurt went easily.  I think there was about an hour total of sleep.  Frankfurt airport was a breeze with no suitcase or bike to drag and that place is very well signed with helpful service people.  Coming into Arlanda was a bit rough, but no problems.

I knew that getting the bike onto the train would be my biggest challenge as it meant pulling my suitcase and the bike bag at the same time while changing terminals.  Trouble.  The track between Arlanda and Upsalla was shut for some reason and so I had to find a bus to take me to Upsalla and then run to catch the next train to Gavle.  I arrived only about 40 minutes later than originally scheduled. Thanks to the strangers who lent a hand!

Jennie and TovaElise came to pick me up.  The little one does not make strange and was immediately gurgling and laughing with me.  She is a delightful toddler with the funny initial walk, but wanting to check everything out.  She was playing with the Lego blocks I brought her and the stuffed creatures.  But I'm sure she liked being outside and running through the back yard even better.

Forget the 'cold north' here -- the lilacs are in full bloom, all the trees are fully leafed-out, and Jennie's garden already has some little green tomatoes on the plants.

it is good to be back here!

No comments:

Post a Comment