Friday 30 May 2014

Feels like......

Richard and Jennie have now been here for just over 4 years.  They have bought a house and have settled into a Swedish way of life.  They shop locally and try to buy Swedish products in the grocery stores where possible.  (Remember the words of Gustav Vasa -- first king of Sweden:  Be Swedish!)  They have adopted the Swedish attitude toward weather -- no bad weather, only bad clothes.  Tova Elise has all her naps outside, usually on the back porch.  The rain cover on her stroller is well used and this afternoon she was out in the Chariot with Richard as he ran.  Their car only racked up 5000 km last year as usually they work and play locally by bicycle.  Jennie is quite fluent in Swedish and Richard understands most conversations but with his work (he is an English teacher at an English school) he doesn't have the opportunity to practice the language as much.


So today as we were walking in the light rain, I asked if it felt like home.  He said yes immediately.  Home is where the heart is, and their hearts are most definitely here.  They love the sporty culture of the country, the snow in winter and the camping possibilities in summer.  They love their work here and their home.  Gavle is a great place to live -- big enough to have most things of culture and convenience, and Stockholm is only about 85 minutes away.  They have made friends through work and their sporting endeavours.  Thanks to computers and phones, the contacts with family and friends on the other side of the Atlantic are strong.   I am reminded of a small plaque that my mother has in her house which translates:

'My home, my dear little one; full of sunshine and rest.  How I hurry to your peace at the end of the working day.'  I'm so glad they have found that here.

And when I come -- which has now been about 5 times, it feels like visiting with an old friend.  The familiar patterns are comforting and delightful.  I know where to find pear cider in the liquor store, I know who has lovely bread and who has interesting day-old baked goods.  I know where to find the washroom at the mall and that I need to have a 5kr coin.  I know several different routes to get downtown.  I know where to find Moomin souveniers.  I know which stall at the market has lovely hot smoked salmon.  Feels like -- a great place to visit again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment