Sunday 1 January 2012

The Significant Adventure

It is New Year's Day and one of the readings at St. Andrew's this morning was about a 'significant' new year rather than a 'happy' new year.  And, though I do not subscribe to official New Year's resolutions, this is the time of year when one considers the important aspects of life......which brings me to today's post. 

Tomorrow morning (very early), I am off to Roatan, Honduras with Joan.  It's a place I have never been before and therefore promises to be a new adventure.  But sitting here, I know that I am on a much more significant adventure without leaving the house. 

This week we had the delight and challenge of Joanna and family visiting for 5 days.  Kieran has a bad cold and so the hectic schedule of visits in Toronto, Hamilton, Stoney Creek and Niagara took their toll on the little guy.  He had difficulty settling downstairs for his night's sleep and one time, I was the one down there with him.  He didn't want me to leave -- "another story", "sing Twinkle two times here", and finally "hold your hand".  He wanted to fall asleep, under his binket, with one thumb in his mouth and the other chubby little hand holding my hand.  The trust and openness of child tugs at the hardest of hearts.  Is it not amazing that this is the analogy of God's relationship with us, his children?

This adventure, first with my own children, and now with Kieran and Clara (who is becoming an engaging young miss), is a most significant adventure. 

I wish you a significant New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment