Saturday 27 April 2024

Be Prepared

Yes, that is the Boy Scout's motto and a good one it is, for it teaches the kids to think ahead, evaluate and act.  For many years, I had a grown-up version of it as my motto -- with good planning, anything is possible.  

Even now, I book my flights well in advance and choose the best dates to suit my and the people I am visiting's schedule.  I take out insurance (yearly makes it easy).  I have researched hotels and trains and restaurants and activities.  I collected some photo albums to bring along with me.  I like to get to the airport early so if there is an issue, I can better deal with it.

I usually bring some sort of activity for the girls here.  This time it is a miniature flower shop model.  All three of us are working on it in stages.  There are many elements and the little fingers are especially good with the building.   


Planning and preparedness also go along with "the problems that money can solve are not the big problems".  There, the situations have cash as the solution and having that available, means that one has thought ahead.

But then there are the unforeseen  challenges: (A Balrog! and I am already spent. -- have been rereading The Lord of the Rings),  the health crisis that money cannot prevent or cure,  a pandemic that changes all the rules,  a relationship that changes, an accident.  Do we feel punished for such things happening to us when we have tried to do everything right? . How we deal with the bad stuff is at least an equal assessment for our character as how we deal with the good stuff.  

I try to remind myself that I have been and still am extremely blessed.  I know I will not avoid all the troubles that can come, but I will remember that storms end.  And if I can help someone else in their storm, then being here is important. I will take every opportunity to be in relationships!


1 comment: