Monday 17 February 2020

A Sense of Accomplishment

When my sonny was about 14 years old, he dreamt of a sportscar for his 16th birthday.  Bad parents that we were, he was informed that even if we could afford it, he wasn't getting one.  Beside the safety issue, there was the more important philosophic one which revolved around our belief that something unearned was not nearly as valued as something accomplished.  If he wanted a sportscar, he would have to achieve it for himself.

And having something to accomplish is important for everyone, at every stage of life, even when you are 68 years old.  Today I rode over the top of the island and down to the north coast for the first time in 2 years.  I am at that age, when you are never sure how time will sap your strength of will or muscles, so I worked up to today's adventure with my cycling forays last week.  Once I had gone most of the way up the mountains, but that was only up and down.  To reach the north coast, it was up and down, twice. 

North shore achieved!

No comments:

Post a Comment