Thursday 1 November 2012

For all the Saints

There is a song for every situation, and, today being All Saint's Day, the song of the above title has come to mind several times.  That could also be that my mind needed something to concentrate on other than the climbing.  There was 'only' 900 m today, but I guess the cumulative effect is having its toll on my legs.  However, the only point where I have walked, was last thing this afternoon on the way DOWN into the converted convent where we are staying this evening.  The steepest hill and cobbles were too much for me and I did walk about half way down that driveway.

And today is the birthday for my sister Elisabeth, my son-in-law Sham and for Roseanne, one of the ladies here on our cycling tour.!!  Happy Birthday all and I wish you "good luck and blessings on the next year of your life", (my Mom's wish to the birthday people, translated from the German).  And so, of course, the passage of time and friends and family has been on my mind from that point of view also.  I sat in the chapel of the convent here, still a 'working' church, and thought of the nuns who inhabited this place -- their joy and work in the gardens, walking the cloisters, and working on the tapestries.  This particular area is renowned for its handmade tapestries and there are old and new examples of the work around the hotel.  The one thing about a convent like this is that all sounds echo, so maybe that's why the vow of silence.  Just had to think of that as the waiter dropped a glass and it resounded everywhere.  Today's photo is the chapel of our convent hotel.  (the chapel is the old wonder, but my bathroom done in black and white marble is the modern wonder).
The Portuguese have much more of a sense of history than Canada -- comes with a much older country.  I don't know if looking up at medieval walls helps them put things in perspective, but it sure makes me think in a longer time frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment