Thursday 25 October 2012

You've come a long way, baby

Sorry, but no picture with this post.

I am sitting here at the airport contemplating how air travel has changed in the last years.  I booked this flight strictly online, choosing from a variety of routes and carriers that were searched for me; the hotel was an online booking, not chosen from the internet but rather recommended by a friend, the 'hop-on-hop-off' ticket was found and done online and the tour which I will be taking was booked in cyberspace.  Through email, I have conversed with the hotel people, the bus people and the cycling tour leaders, having questions answered and conditions clarified.  I paid for all these items while comfortably sitting at my desk, with just my credit card or in some cases, Paypal.    I love the internet.

I checked in at a kiosk, got boarding passes for both legs of my trip and a luggage tag for my suitcase all the way to Lisbon.  Around me there are dozens of people with their computers, tablets or smart phones, and the TV just had a blurb about the launch of Windows 8.  Thanks to American Express, there is free Wifi here and Terminal 1   has lots of plugs for power.  I am no Steve Jobs with a vision of where we go from here, but it is exciting and I don't want to be left behind.  (OK, my cell phone is a dinosaur.)

Hope you all are optimistic about the future too!  And of course, I am looking forward to this particular new adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment