Friday 21 September 2012

Moseying on the Mosel

Ian wasn't feeling too well and since we had missed a number of pictures on our cycle along the Mosel yesterday, I decided to retrace our steps (pedals, I guess), take the photos (with an SD card in the camera this time), and go on a bit.


Vineyards hanging on hillsides are just awe inspiring.  This year the harvest is not ready while I am here, so there are no little machines slowly cogging their way up the monotrack (shown in the photo with my red water bottle for size reference), no eastern Europeans with big baskets on their backs, and no sweet smell in the vineyards.  Summer has been quite cool and rainy here, so they are delayed.  But there are lots of bunches just waiting for those few more sunny days so I am not too worried about the harvest.

In the 50 km that I rode along the Mosel today, there was one dam with lock system.  Obviously this is not enough as in a number of towns there were high water marks on the buildings which were significantly over my head! And this was not a long time ago -- one of the worst floods was just in 1993.

I took the train back -- yes, the car I got into showed room for 8 bicycles.  What a nice system that provides for frequency and variety of trains on many routes.  It took me back to Koblenz Hbf (Hauptbahnhof -- main train station) which is less than 1 km from our hotel.

We are still exploring the city with its many statues and very interesting fountains.  And we continue to sample cheeses and breads and meats and beer and Federweissen (actually both red and white).  I bet you wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment